Candler Hall

Candler Hall was built in 1901 as a residence hall for students at the University. It was named after Allen D. Chandler, then Governor of the State. Prior to his appointment to public office Chandler was a Colonel in the Confederate Army where he fought in many large battles of the war such as Vicksburg, Kennesaw Mountain, and Atlanta. Upon returning home to Georgia Candler built upon his legal education which he received from Mercer University and sought public office. Candler was of the belief that the Democratic Party was to be a “white only” party and that it had the right to exclude African Americans. He did do a great service to the state in his last decade of life through his compilation 30 volumes of Georgia History. Today the building serves as the main office for the School of Public and International Affairs.