Is email another “legacy medium”? Maybe so, but universities still seem to run on it. Read this serious piece (How to Email Your Professor…) and this jokey one (Every Email College Students Send Their Professors) and respond to the issues they raise. Some possibilities:
- Do these pieces tally with your impressions (or experiences) of students, professors, and email?
- What larger issues do they suggest?
- Might students and professors have different understandings of email (and different understandings of college!) that come out in these mismatched exchanges?
- What’s your own relationship to email?
- Why do you think universities are so email-crazy? Why do you think they haven’t embraced alternative media (texting, facebook, WhatsApp, whatever) to the same extent?